Kosovo is a fascinating country filled with culture, history, and stunning natural beauty. From traditional villages to ancient castles, breathtaking mountain ranges, blue lakes and lush forests, Kosovo has something to offer any traveler. If you’re looking for an exciting and unique trip, Kosovo should be high on your list of places to explore. Here are our top 10 must-see destinations in Kosovo.
1. Peja – Located in western Kosovo, the city of Peja (Peć) is home to some of the most beautiful and historical landmarks in the country. From the ancient monastery of Visoki Decani to the newly opened Kosovo Museum, Peja is rich in cultural heritage and serves as a great base for exploring other cities in the region.
2. Prizren – Sitting at the edge of the Rugova Valley, the city of Prizren is a popular destination for travelers in Kosovo. It’s known for its picturesque Ottoman-era architecture, cobblestone streets, and remarkable views. Prizren is also home to the feast of Saint George, a centuries-old celebration.
3. Gjakova – Gjakova is another top destination for visitors to Kosovo. This town is located at the edge of the Rugova Valley and is known for its rich cultural heritage and lively nightlife. Take some time to explore the old town, visit the market, and get to know the locals in the numerous cafes and restaurants.
4. Mitrovica – Located in north Kosovo, Mitrovica is one of the oldest cities in the country. It has one of the best preserved fortifications in the Balkans and the old town has an abundance of historical monuments. The city is home to the Archaeology Museum, which showcases archaeological artifacts from the city’s early history.
5. Prishtinë – Prishtinë, the country’s capital, is one of the most important places to visit in Kosovo. It’s situated in the center of the country and is a great example of a vibrant, multicultural city. Take a stroll through the city’s streets and explore its numerous landmarks and monuments.
6. Đakovica – Not too far from Prishtinë is the city of Đakovica, which is considered the “Florence of the Balkans”. It’s filled with artwork from medieval times and vibrant Ottoman-era architecture. While you’re there, don’t forget to visit the ancient city walls and the impressive Lumbardhi Ethnographic Museum.
7. Llap – The small mountain village of Llap is located in the Kamenica region and is one of the most beautiful spots in Kosovo. Its landscape is dotted with small houses, rolling hills, and centuries-old churches. Here you’ll have the chance to learn more about traditional lifestyle and explore the culture and history of the region.
8. Rahovec – Located between the cities of Prizren and Gjakova is the beautiful town of Rahovec. Here, visitors will find stunning mosaic-covered buildings, cobblestone streets, and a beautiful mosque. Rahovec is also home to many festivals throughout the summer months.
9. Prilep – This small mountain town is located in Brezovica and is a great place to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. Prilep is surrounded by picturesque scenery and visitors can explore its many trails or take part in cultural activities and workshops.
10. Istog – This small town near Peja is home to the Kosovo Monastery, which is considered one of the most important cultural monuments in the country. Visitors can explore its impressive galleries and learn more about Kosovo’s history and culture. Istog is also known for its lively nightlife and delicious traditional food.
Kosovo is a country with so much to offer, and the destinations listed above are just a few of the must-sees. So if you’re looking for an exciting and interesting adventure, make sure you add Kosovo to your list of places to explore.