Are you looking for a vacation to somewhere truly special? A destination with incredibly unique flora and fauna, awesome activities, and stunning views? Consider visiting the Cocos (Keeling) Islands for an unforgettable vacation experience.
Situated in the Indian Ocean 2,765 kilometers northwest of Perth, Australia, the Cocos (Keeling) Islands are quite remote. Yet despite their location, people from around the world have figured out how to get here and explore the unusual beauty.
If you are considering a visit, here are the top 10 reasons to add the Cocos (Keeling) Islands to your travel plans:
1. Unique Wildlife: As you adventure about the islands, you’ll find a variety of nationally and internationally protected species. Seagrasses, crabs, 138 species of birds, lizards and terrestrial bugs – you’ll experience a fascinating combination of wildlife.
2. Snorkeling and Diving: The lagoons surrounding the islands are home to some of the rarest species of marine life. Spend some time snorkeling and diving, and you’ll definitely see something special.
3. Bicentennial Walk: Explore the 887 meter Bicentennial Walk near Cockburn, the main island. This is a great place to get a view of the lagoon, the white coral beaches, and the many cays.
4. Expedition Adventures: Take part in one of The Cocos Keeling Islands’ many amazing tour packages and go on an exclusive expedition. Whether you’re exploring the natural gems beneath the waves or joining a desert or historical exploration – you’re in for a real treat.
5. Fundraising Events: The local community is always raising money for a variety of causes, and you can take part in many interesting events. Run for a cause in the annual fun run, or take part in the local cook-off for the hospital.
6. Homegrown Cuisine: For true foodies, this is the perfect place to enjoy some delicious home-cooked meals. Local fruits, vegetables, and fish tend to make up the majority of the menu – and you won’t regret trying any of the dishes.
7. Islander Art Gallery: Ifyou’re keen to pick up some souvenirs or gifts, don’t miss the Kabarar Gallery. This is a fantastic place for extraordinary art pieces, from drift wood sculptures to shell jewelry.
8. Enjoy a Massage: With some of the most serene beach settings in the world, the Cocos (Keeling) Islands are a great place to get a massage. Whether you like a Thai massage or an oil massage – you can make your relaxation complete here.
9. Scuba Tours: Get in the water and explore some of the world’s most fascinating underwater species. Whether you’re an experienced scuba diver or new to the activity, there are tours here to serve your needs.
10. Fishing: If you’re into fishing, you’ll love the Cocos (Keeling) Islands. Try your luck with a charter company and catch some amazing oceangoing species.
These are just a few of the reasons to visit the Cocos (Keeling) Islands – an incredible destination with some of the most unique wildlife and activities in the world. So pack your bags and plan your vacation – you won’t regret it!